Thursday, January 31, 2008

A Hard Day

Some of you may have heard today of the tragic event that ocurred last night in Hebron. One of the freshman girls at Thayer Central High School killed herself. I've just returned home from the school, where I spent the day doing as Paul teaches, "weeping with those who weep." It has been a hard day. I am preparing now to go to New Life Assembly, to spend time with students and family members who want to grieve. Please pray for Hayley's family, who are unchurched. Pastor Mark Baldwin (a Bible-believing pastor of the Methodist church) will be officiating the service on Saturday morning at 10:30 a.m., which will be held at the Catholic church in town.

Though sometimes I have grumbled and been stressed when leading (with Matt) the SLX group, I am profoundly grateful that the Lord has used my time with the speech kids and the SLX kids to lay a foundation of relationship for ministry, for both Matt and myself. We have been able to share with the kids that we have an eternal hope in Jesus. Please pray for Matt and I, and for the believers who have access to the school right now, to comfort hurting kids. Please pray for the kids, as they mourn the loss of one of their friends. Pray especially for Jessica, one of my speech kids, and for Kelsay and for Jennica and Nate & Kesston (some of our SLX kids), as well as Amber and Michael and Rachel and Lynn & Ethan in our own church.

This has been hard for me on another level as well. The young lady was 14. Ethan is 14. As I walked down the hallways and sat around the tables today, many of the kids there were Ethan's classmates. Many of these kids have spent a lot of time at our home, playing basketball in our driveway and together at school functions. They are like my own kids, in many ways. It is hard to see your kids hurting.

For those who have helped with Awana, the young lady who took her own life came and helped us for a couple of nights in December. She was a sweet young lady, and we grieve her loss.

Her family is unchurched, so please pray that the manifold grace of God would bear fruit for His glory.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home